Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Last letter before I go...


Hi all! Wow the time has flown by, especially with the holidays last month, and I now leave in 3 weeks! For the many people who have asked, no I haven't left yet. I leave on January 26th. That's just 3 weeks away! I am so excited to go and have been so amazed at all of the different ways God has made this opportunity happen for me-from work letting me go, finding organizations to volunteer with, funding, support, and so much more. It feels great to be in the center of God's will.
Alot has happened since my first letter-I have been busily organizing and completing my paperwork for graduate school (I am hoping to start next fall), cleaning out my apartment, and celebrating the holidays with both friends and family. I have cleaned out my apartment and found a really sweet, older couple to rent it out for a few months while I am gone. They are older-probably in their mid-70's on extended vacation from Nova Scotia, because "well, you can't stay there all year long" according to the husband. Their plan is to stay until the end of March when their visa expires. I move out this Sunday, and my friends Jen and Andy have graciously allowed me to come and stay with them until I leave. I also think that I have found one or two good homes for my plants and have made two trips down to my parents hauling extra stuff that will be stored there while I am gone.

I have also been busy finalizing my "job description" for my volunteer work with Alliance for Children Everywhere (ACE). I will be working with their head nurse and staff in education, compliance, organizing, and working as a nurse from time to time. I will also be excited to be there while they open up a new house for the Bill and Betty Bryant nursery kids-It's going to be close to where I am staying so I am hoping to visit regularly.
And now I just want to send a big thank you to each and every one of you who has asked me about what I am doing, encouraged me, supported me, and given me material donations to take with me. Thank you also those who have committed to praying for me and donated financially. I really do appreciate all of it-and really hope to stay in contact with you while I am gone. If any of would still  like to donate financially-it's not too late. Just go to the ACE website (see below), click on the DONATE tab, and leave the drop down boxes blank. Under comments, write "For Melissa Sanchez".



Here are a few ways to get a hold of me:

Email: missachu@u.washington.edu

Skype-look for me using my email address

Blog: www.idreamedofafrica.blogspot.com



And here are the websites for the organizations I am volunteering with:

Tinytimandfriends.org

In God's Great Name!

Melissa Sanchez

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!! I would love to go to Africa someday. We sponsor a little girl named Roza through Compassion International. She lives in Tanzania - near Lake Victoria. I wish I could go and visit her :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Just thinking about how much fun it is to be a nurse it makes me think of how it would be like. It must be verry fun but Hard but makes you very happy that you know that you are helping out someone in this world that is in need!!:)

    ReplyDelete